Saturday 5 January 2019

Sharon's Week 1: It'll Be Just Like Starting Over

new/beginnings

Here I am again!  2018 was a year of almost no photography.  My grand plan to do food photography in an effort to create a cookbook for myself lasted exactly two months.  For a while in March and April, I kept thinking I'd get back to it.  For another couple of months I had vague thoughts about it and in November I finally packed away the lighting gear and styling stuff that I had acquired (and that had been gathering dust and taking up space in my bedroom).

Throughout the entire year, I had my camera out exactly eight times (pathetic!) and I still haven't processed the photos from five of those events (even more pathetic!).  So back in November, while feeling very guilty and neglectful of Minerva (you've probably forgotten my camera's name), I asked Pam if she was interested in doing another photography project.  We talked about it and decided on a weekly project.  We came up with a bunch of topics and chose 53 of them, one for each week (or part thereof) for the year 2019: one topic per week with the plan to take one photo or as many as we want, if the spirit moves us.

For those of you who enjoyed Maxine's hilarious posts in the past, sorry, she's not joining us this year.  She has become very interested in painting and she's still not very mobile with her never-ending broken ankle saga.  Donna may or may not join us again this time.  Here is her text response to my question: "Nice that you have so much faith in me.  I can definitely start and everyone can make bets on how long I will last.  At least I am predictably unpredictable."  I laughed out loud when I read that but I REALLY hope she joins us...she spent a lot of time last year focusing on photography and the processing side of it and I really want to see what she has learned.

Hey, if anyone out there wants to participate, let me know and I'll send you the list.

About this week, I'm not off to a stellar start although it was a very punctual one.  I got up early on New Year's day and headed to Whitefish Island for the sunrise.  I wandered around in -18 degree temperatures and put Minerva to use for the first time since Thanksgiving.  I have not thought about any other photos since then though (that's the not so stellar part).  It was a short week however and the first full week of 2019 starts tomorrow...a new day with a new topic and new ideas.

So here we go with the "new/beginnings" photos for this week...

There was spectacular colour in the sky while I was driving but there was still some colour left when I arrived.  Here is a new day, a new year.

A new kind of ice (new to me anyway).


A blanket of new snow.



A new me with Minerva.

Huh, no chickadees!

1 comment:

  1. The first ice one is my favourite though the new snow looks rather pretty too. Good start!

    ReplyDelete