Sunday 27 January 2019

Pam's Week 4: The Story of My Life....

Okay, perhaps the title is a little misleading.  This isn't really the story of my life, per se, but the topic this week was to Tell a Story from a poem or a song.  It sounded like a fun challenge, until I googled the topic for inspiration and realized that my interpretation of the topic was likely far off from the intended one.  I had initially considered taking multiple photos for one song, in an effort to essentially illustrate the song.  When I realized that I was likely supposed to be looking for deeper meaning within the songs and taking a photo of the emotions evoked by the song, I became overwhelmed. 

You see, I am not really one to ascribe meaning to others' words.  I am not good at reading between the lines and looking for metaphors for life.  In highschool English, I actually called my teacher a pervert for asking my group to consider that Emily Dickinson's "Long Fellow in the Grass" might be about a penis rather than a snake.  I pictured Emily Dickinson in a high collared, floor length dress with only the most proper of behaviour and etiquette and such a dignified lady would never, ever write a poem about a penis!  I had no issue whatsoever with finding the sexual connotations in "Snake" by D.H. Lawrence, though, as I knew he wrote "Lady Chatterly's Lover" which certainly didn't sound even remotely prudish!  And to this day I am convinced that one of our former bookclub members dropped out because we weren't literary enough for her and just enjoyed the story of the book, "Life of Pi" and didn't read it looking for allegory and metaphor.  She swears it was just coincidental that her life became very busy with her kids around the same time.

Needless to say, there won't be a lot of deep interpretation of my photos this week.  In fact, there won't even be many photos as the ideas I had did not come to fruition thanks to the bitter cold that has been plaguing us this week once the copious amounts of snow stopped.  There were only so many creative photos with snow that I could take quickly before frostbite set in. 

To make this interesting, I will name the artist and see how many of you can guess the title of the song based on the photo....

Green Day....


Lowest of the Low....




This one is tough as the writer is pretty obscure but it's been covered a number of times by artists such as Michael Buble and Idina Menzel or Darius Rucker and Sheryl Crow recently.  Perhaps Dean Martin would be one of the most famous renditions.  A hint - it's been banned from Canadian radio stations this past winter...


The Beatles....

and last, but not least, Stompin' Tom Connors



I was really hoping for an Anne Murray song but my walk in the sun on Whitefish Island was cut short by a dog who was afraid of the cold and dragged me back to the car before we had a chance to see the birds.  Yes, I was hoping for a photo for "Snowbird".

Did you get all the rest of them? 
- Boulevard of Broken Dreams
- Rosy and Grey
- Baby, It's Cold Outside
- Here Comes the Sun
- The Hockey Song

It looks like the topic for next week is Winter, which we certainly have enough of now!  The challenge will be avoiding frostbite though as we are in for a cold one unless the meteorologists are mistaken (unfortunately they always seem to be right about that). 

Have a good one and keep warm!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Pam! I LOVE the black and white city photo. As you may probably have guessed, I only knew the Baby it’s cold outside one and that’s because of your clue 😆.

    ReplyDelete